Saturday, June 20, 2009

Asian Style Peanut Noodles














I generally don't eat much pasta as a rule. It's more of a healthy choice as opposed to taste. So when I do decide that it's time to indulge I like to go for something of the Asian variety. Not that I hate Italian food (quite the contrary), I just find the flavors of the far east slightly more appetizing. When I cook with pasta, I use organic wheat spaghetti or linguine. Sometimes I'll make my own sauce, but in the middle of a busy work week I usually cheat and buy something prefab. Just be sure and read the labels so you know exactly what you're getting!

Peanut Noodles

2 Servings Wheat Noodles
1 Tbs EVOO
1/2 Yellow Onion (Sliced)
1-2 Tbs Peanut Sauce (To Taste)
1 Egg (or Two Tbs Egg Whites)
Others (Mushrooms, Peanuts, Peppers, Shrimp, ect.)

1. Prepare noodles as directed on package.
2. Heat EVOO in a wok or other non-stick pan.
3. Add sliced onions and any other vegetables to pan.
4. Cook for approximately 5 minutes over medium heat. (Covered)
5. Add other items and cook an additional 5 minutes.
6. Add noodles and sauce to wok.
7. Toss and allow to cook for approximately 1-2 minutes.
8. Crack one egg over pasta mixture and fold in.
9. Get your chop-sticks ready and enjoy!

If you're going to add any type of meat, I would suggest either chicken or shrimp. I chose shrimp this time, and it worked out very well. If you're working with meat that has already been cooked, simply add to the vegetable mixture during the second round of cooking. If you're going to use chicken, shred it first. It will allow more of the sauce to absorb into the chicken. The egg isn't necessary. I simply find it an easy way to add in a little protein, texture, and flavor to the dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment