Thursday, June 11, 2009

Alamos Malbec 2008 Vintage


















Name: Alamos
Type: Malbec
Vintage: 2008
Location: Mendoza, Argentina
Price Paid: ~$14
Rating: 6/10


What can I say? I'm a huge fan of red wine. Nothing against you white lovers out there, but to me, red is king. My favorite has always been Pinot Noir, but early this year I picked up my first Malbec. I really fell in love with it. It's not heavy like Merlot or Zinfendel, but slightly fuller than Pinot Noir. In my opinion, it's just a good simple anytime wine. Argentina is (in my opinion) the best location to pick from when considering any Malbec.

I picked up one this evening, a 2008 vintage named Alamos from Mendoza, Argentina. Having tried many good and bad wines in my day (college provided me with the interesting experience of the $8-10 price range as a standard), I like to consider my pallet at least an acceptable judge of decent wines. While not as refined as someone who's been drinking wines for 30 years, I know what I like and don't. The Alamos just didn't really do much for me. I put it in a decanter for a solid 30 minutes before pouring my first glass, and it just was not up to par with most of the other Malbecs in the $10-15 price range I've previously enjoyed. I'm rating it a six out of ten primairly due to the fact that it was drinkable, just not extremely enjoyable. The absolute worst wine I've ever tasted without a shadow of a doubt was named "Goats Do Roam In Villages". Trust me. If you ever see this name...RUN! I did end up finishing off most of the Alamos with the help of my roommate and a friend, so it's tough to call it bad. Not good, not bad. Simply average.

On a side note, if you ever have the chance to try La Crema Pinot Noir do. It's amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment